Frequently Asked Questions

We are here to answer any questions that you may have!

Here are some of our most frequently asked summer-related questions. If you cannot find the answer you are looking for, please email us at

Summer Session FAQs

Questions About Summer Programs

Are Summer Session grades added into a Hun student's transcript and GPA?

Yes, grades for courses taken by Hun students at the Hun Summer Session are required to appear on the student's transcript. Summer courses will be designated as "summer," and are calculated in the overall grade point average. Honors courses are weighted by a factor of 1.03. However, the maximum grade for any course is 100.

Are textbooks or eBooks needed?

Textbook, eBooks, or workbooks may be required for some classes, specifically the math and science classes. Some classes may not require anything. Once enrolled, students will be directed to our website, where a full list of textbooks, eBooks, and workbooks required for each class will be listed. Students will then be prompted to independently purchase any supplies that are needed. Every effort is made to keep expenses reasonable. 

Are there honors-level courses?

There are several honors-level courses in the following subjects: Algebra II, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, and Chemistry. All of our course offerings can be found on the courses page.

Are refunds available?

The deadline to request a refund is June 1st and must be submitted in writing to

If you have already registered for a course and wish to withdraw, please email Refunds (minus a $125 deposit) will be processed through the Business Office. The refund will be credited to the credit card used in the initial online registration. 

Can tuition payments be made on the first day of class?

Students who enroll prior to June 1st can choose to pay in full or pay in three installments. All payments are applied by June  1st.

Any registrations completed after that date will need to paid in full at the time of registration.

Do you accept international students?

International students are accepted into summer school as long as they have the required language ability, which is a score of 80 or higher on a recent TOEFL exam. 

International students who wish to study English may apply to The American Culture and Language Institute, where we teach English at all levels. 

Within our American Culture and Language Institute, is our Advanced ACLI track. Advanced students are given some preparation for the Test of English as a Foreign Language Examination (TOEFL) and some students may take a course in the Hun Summer Session if there is a demonstrated English proficiency, which is a score of 78 or higher on a recent TOEFL exam.

Do you have to be a Hun School student?

No! All summer classes and camps at The Hun School of Princeton are open to non-Hun students. There are prerequisites needed for certain credit classes and permission to take a credit course at Hun must be sent to the Summer Programs Office by email. Each year we welcome students from all over the world!

How do credit courses work?

Credit courses run for six weeks and are equivalent to a full school year of curriculum in a particular subject. Students in credit math and science will study with a certified teacher to complete 120 classroom hours (130 hours in science) in their respective subject. Credit classes meet during the dates outlined on the Hun Summer Session webpage. Credit math classes meet from 8:00 a.m. - 12:20 p.m. Monday through Friday. Credit Chemistry and Credit Physics meet 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. for Monday's labs.

How do enrichment courses work?

Enrichment courses are intended to introduce students to coursework that a student will encounter in the upcoming academic year. Review classes are intended for students who previously studied a course, but would like to review the material. Class sizes are limited to twelve students. Quizzes, tests, and assignments will be incorporated in order to help assess your understanding of the material. There are two sessions for enrichment courses, and Session II builds off of Session I, giving students the option to learn the full six weeks. The session dates can be found on the Summer Session webpage. 

The courses meet Monday through Friday during two of three periods: Either 8:00 - 10:00 a.m., 10:20 - 12:20 p.m., or 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. 

How do students receive credit at their school for a course taken at Hun?

A transcript can be sent to the student’s home high school, upon request and completion of the program. Parents will receive notification of the final grade by email. The student’s home school will determine if an additional assessment test is warranted and will award credit to the student’s record. 

How much homework is there?

Credit Courses:
Students should expect two to three hours of homework per night, multiple tests per week, and are required to be in the classroom 120 hours (130 hours for accelerated science credit). Students must be on time for class and may not miss more than one day of class. Time missed from class must be made up after lunch on designated days outlined by the teacher. Students must take the final exam on the designated day. Alternative days will not be provided. Students are allowed to opt in to tutoring for a fee.
Enrichment Courses:
Homework for enrichment courses varies and is less strenuous than a credit course. Students must be on time for class and may miss more than one day of class. Time missed from class should be communicated in advance. Due to the structure of the academic day and teacher commitments, teachers may not be able to organize extra time with the student to make up work.

Can middle school students take high school classes?

Middle school students may apply for a high school course. Each applicant will be considered on an individual basis. Additional documentation may be requested in order to verify eligibility for a higher-level course.

What courses do you offer?

We offer a number of courses for both enrichment and credit. You can see a full list of courses on the Courses and Faculty page.

What is the application process for credit courses?

All of the information you need to apply is found on the Admissions and Applicants page

What is the application deadline?

There is no specific deadline for applying, as admissions are on a rolling basis. Applications submitted prior to June 1st are given preference and classes often fill up before May 1st. The maximum enrollment for each class is twelve students.

Who are Hun Summer School teachers?

Our teachers are either full-time faculty at The Hun School or teach at other local public and private schools. 

Medical Information

Each participant will need to submit a completed immunization form and physical exam form, which can be found below.

immunization form

Fact Sheet: Zika and New Jersey