Student Life and Activities
Athletics, performing arts, academic teams, and other co-curriculars are a little different this fall. State restrictions and guidelines on social distancing and travel will affect which sports, performances, and activities can take place. However, we are committed to providing as broad and inspiring a student experience as possible. If interscholastic competition is not possible, other means of providing the important benefits of athletics will be provided, to possibly include non-traditional sports and activities. Regardless, we will ensure that all students have ample opportunities for physical fitness, socialization, and artistic endeavors.
- Pre-season athletics will not take place this fall.
- The Mid Atlantic Prep League has made the difficult decision to suspend interscholastic competition for the Fall 2020 season. However, The Hun School Athletic Department may still offer team play this fall, in accordance with the guidelines established by the State, CDC, and the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association.
- Regardless of whether interscholastic competition is possible, team training, skill development, and social activities, with heightened safety protocols will take place. Practices will begin on September 14th. If competitions are possible, they will begin after October 1st.
- This fall, Upper School athletic offerings will be expanded to include intramural and recreational activities designed to foster fitness, wellness, and connections for students. Depending on student interest activities may include ultimate frisbee, walking and hiking, intramural tennis, beach volleyball, yoga and meditation, wiffle ball and kickball, erging, non competitive cheering, and novice and advanced fitness training.
- Virtual Zoom workouts and fitness activities will also be available to all students. Depending on conditions at the time, we will re-evaluate athletic participation requirements for students who cannot or do not wish to participate in specified activities.
- Indoor spaces are largely off-limits (gymnasiums, cardio and weight rooms); outdoor alternatives will be constructed.
PERFORMING ARTS, CLUBS, AND ACADEMIC TEAMS
- The usual rich assortment of performing arts opportunities are available to students, both in person and in virtual format, including instrumental and choral music, drama, and dance.
- All fall performances will be conducted as virtual events, recorded live in advance, and broadcast to the community at scheduled performance times.
- Students on campus will rehearse in the usual way (but physically distanced for safety) with virtual students joining ensembles and casts via Zoom. Chorus and wind instruments will rehearse and perform exclusively outdoors.
- Clubs, service activities, publications, student government will also proceed, ensuring broad and full student engagement.
- While travel associated with most programs is unlikely, academic teams and performing arts groups who are able to configure socially distant activities, will do so. For example, choral and musical groups may perform outdoors, Model UN may compete virtually, etc.
Finally, as we all contend with the stress and isolation of the pandemic, we are focused on providing students with enhanced social and personal contact with peers and with teachers. Advisories, assemblies, and special spirit activities will be regular features of their routine, both on campus and virtually. We know that these personal contacts are critical to the positive relationships and simple joy of being at Hun, and we are determined to offer them in abundance.