Student Life and Activities
Athletics, performing arts, academic teams, and other co-curriculars are happening at Hun this year, but group activities look a little different. State restrictions and guidelines on social distancing and travel have affected which sports, performances, and activities can take place and how they are conducted. However, we are committed to providing as broad and inspiring a student experience as possible.
- The Hun School Athletic Department is offering team play and modified competition, in accordance with the guidelines established by the State, CDC, and the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association.
- Student-athletes must be masked at all times and remain physically distanced whenever not involved in active play.
- Competition is restricted to schools that adhere to similar health and safety protocols. All schedules are tentative and subject to change.
- Student-athletes are tested weekly in-season or as needed by the Health Office. Students participating in heightened risk sports, such as football, ice hockey, and lacrosse, are tested twice-weekly in season.
- Students are discouraged from participating in club sports or non-Hun team sports at this time. Students who choose to participate in club or non-Hun team sports must learn virtually or obtain Covid-19 tests twice per week and submit those results to the Health Center. Please click here to see FAQs about club and non-Hun sports.
- Indoor athletic spaces are open with modified, supervised use. Participation is limited to three students at a time in the cardio and weight rooms; less than twenty-five in the gyms; and all must be masked and physically distanced.
- Upper School athletic offerings have been expanded to include intramural and recreational activities designed to foster fitness, wellness, and connections for students. Activities include ultimate frisbee, walking and hiking, intramural tennis, beach volleyball, yoga and meditation, wiffle ball and kickball, erging, non competitive cheering, and novice and advanced fitness training.
- Virtual Zoom workouts and fitness activities are also be available to all students.
PERFORMING ARTS, CLUBS, AND ACADEMIC TEAMS
- The usual rich assortment of performing arts opportunities are available to students, both in person and in virtual format, including instrumental and choral music, drama, and dance.
- All performances will be conducted as virtual events, recorded live in advance, and broadcast to the community licenses permitting at scheduled performance times.
- Students on campus are rehearsing in the usual way (but physically distanced for safety) with virtual students joining ensembles and casts via Zoom. Chorus and wind instruments rehearse and perform exclusively outdoors.
- Clubs, service activities, publications, and student government are also proceeding, ensuring broad and full student engagement.
- While travel associated with most programs is limited, academic teams and performing arts groups who are able to configure socially distant activities, are doing so. For example, choral and musical groups may perform outdoors, Model UN may compete virtually, etc.
Finally, as we all contend with the stress and isolation of the pandemic, we are focused on providing students with enhanced social and personal contact with peers and with teachers. Advisories, assemblies, and special spirit activities are regular features of our schedule, both on campus and virtually. We know that these personal contacts are critical to the positive relationships and simple joy of being at Hun, and we are determined to offer them in abundance.