Hun face masks

When the School’s student government began meeting in July to plan ways to keep the Hun community connected in our upcoming blended-model school year, selling Hun branded face masks was a given. But, what started as a fun way to enhance school spirit quickly snowballed into a much larger plan to give back to the greater community. 

When Gabe Huang ’22, a member of student government and leader of Hun Gives Back, learned of the idea to sell face masks, he immediately started brainstorming ways to include a service aspect. 

“As we were discussing selling face masks I kept thinking of all of the organizations and movements that were going on to provide P.P.E to people and I thought it would be great if we could incorporate that into our project,” Gabe said. “The pandemic has put a lot of pressure on everyone, so I thought if we could sell these face masks to Hun students and families while also partnering with a few charities and organizations in the local community, we can give a portion of the proceeds to those charities and it would relieve a lot of stress and pressure on others.” 

And just like that, Gabe and Devon Pasieka ’21, student body president, began conducting research to find a company selling face masks that meet all of the CDC recommendations. 

Devon notes that while there is no shortage of companies that sell face masks, the challenge was trying to find a company that sold face masks that are compliant with the CDC’s recommendations of a dual layer cotton mask with adjustable ear straps, nose wires and a filter pocket, all while maintaining a fair price. 

“I was very surprised when doing my research that there are a lot of factors that need to be put into consideration when looking for the right face mask for our community,” Devon said. “Our goal is to keep our students safe, so we wanted to find the best mask on the market that is also offered at an affordable price.”

Devon and Gabe partnered with Shop4Ties and plan to sell Hun face masks on the online Spirit Store. Masks will be available to ship on September 13. 

When a mask is purchased, the buyer will be prompted to pick between two charities to donate to. Devon and Gabe will then take that information and divide up the proceeds amongst the organizations.

“Once we have a majority of our sales and the votes of where people want to donate, we will round up those numbers,” Gabe said. “For example, if 75 percent of the buyers want to donate to one organization, then 75 percent of the proceeds will go to that and the other 25 percent will go to the other organization.” 

A few organizations that Devon and Gabe hope to partner with are Princeton University Relief Fund, Princeton Area Community Foundation, The Trenton Area Soup Kitchen, ShareMyMeals, Bridging Gaps Inc., and Homefront NJ. 

Devon and Gabe both agree that their mission with this project is not only to keep school spirit thriving, but more importantly, to give back to the community and connect with the student body through service. 

“Not being able to be all together the way we want to be is a big pain point for student government this year,” Devon said. “But one thing we can do is virtual service, and being able to do service from across the whole world is certainly something that will bring us all together.” 

Stay Connected