A Historical Outline
1914: John Gale Hun founds the Princeton Math School, which shortly thereafter becomes The Princeton Tutoring School.
1920: The School is renamed The Hun School of Princeton, a boys' boarding and day school on Stockton Street.
1926: The School acquires forty-five acres at Edgerstoune, a country estate, which becomes The Hun School’s Junior Campus.
1942: The Upper School moves from Stockton Street to Edgerstoune Road. The Junior School is discontinued.
1943: The Hun School of Princeton is incorporated as a non-profit institution under the direction of a Board of Trustees.
1945: Upon the death of Dr. Hun, a succession of three headmasters serve for brief periods: John L. Kuschke (1945-1946); Robert C. McAllen (1946-1949); and Fredrick Richards (1949-1951).
1951: Paul R. Chesebro assumes the role of headmaster. Enrollment is approximately seventy-five students.
1959: Poe Dormitory and the dining hall are constructed.
1964: Carter Dormitory and The Alexander K. Buck Activities Center are constructed.
1968: The gymnasium is constructed.
1970: The Alumni Association is established by Gene Freda ’48 and Bill Pearson ’55.
1971: Female day students are enrolled for the first time. 1973: The Middle School, grades 7 and 8, are established.
1975: Female resident students are enrolled. Overall enrollment reaches 500.
1976: Dr. Chesebro retires after twenty-five years as headmaster. Thomas Woodward becomes the sixth headmaster.
1977: The Middle School expands to include grade 6.
1979: G. Gerald Donaldson Jr., a faculty and administrator since 1958, succeeds Thomas Woodward as headmaster.
1979: The School establishes an endowment and builds an all weather track.
1984: The headmaster’s residence is named for Ralph S. Mason P’69, former Hun School parent and trustee emeritus. He served on the board from 1959 – 1986.
1985: Building begins on the new Academic Center wing, housing the Perry K. Sellon Information Center and the Michael D. Dingman Center for Science and Technology.
1989: The School celebrates its seventy-fifth year. The first Alumnus of the Year Award was presented to Thomas J. Watson ’33.
1994: James M. Byer ’62, graduate and previous faculty member, is welcomed back to the School to serve as headmaster.
1995: The first members of The Hun School Athletic Hall of Fame are inducted.
1996: The School celebrates twenty-five years of co-education. New faculty housing is completed.
1999: The eco pond is opened as a gift from the alumni whose years end in 4 and 9.
2001: The dining hall is renovated.
2002: The new library is opened.
2004: The Heart of Hun, a renovation of the entrance, lobby, and offices of the Paul R. Chesebro Academic Center, is completed.
2007: The Shipley Athletic Pavilion is completed.
2008: The Landis Family Fine Arts Building is completed.
2009: Jonathan G. Brougham succeeds James M. Byer `62 as headmaster.